Fake-Real magazine Appendix
Collected news index about:
Culture, Art, Music, Books ... from different places in a different world.

2010/02/28


MUDDY, New York




EMMELINE DE MOOIJ
MUDDY

The era of the unexplainable growth of gravity has come. With it an increasing number of sinkholes, cases of arthritis, high blood pressure and an overall mood of pressure. The rocket digs itself and it is here I define my excavation site.

March 6, 2010 - April 16, 2010
Opening & Book Launch: Saturday, March 6th, 7pm - 10pm

Capricious Space proudly presents Dutch artist Emmeline de Mooij’s first solo show in the United States. The exhibition will consist of site-specific sculptural installations, photos, collage and screen printing. She will also be launching her new book, co-published by Capricious, also titled Muddy.
“Gravity grows and my overweight forces me to descend into the ground - behind the skin, beyond daylight. I have signed up for the course 'Cave Diving Inside the Brain'. When I sink up to my knees into the brown substance, I find myself face to face with a troll. She introduces herself as Muddy and tells me about the ultimate wish for weightlessness. I say, 'Yes, I see, but, just these heavy clothes I bought myself'...” –Emmeline de Mooij


About Emmeline de Mooij
Born in Delft, The Netherlands, in 1978, she now lives and works in both New York and Amsterdam. de Mooij's work consists of installations, photographs and performances. She has had solo shows in Villa Nouailles (Hyeres, France), Steinsland/Berliner (Stockholm), Salone del Mobile (Milan), Tsumori Chisato (Paris), and Motive (Amsterdam). Group shows have included: the Stedelijk Museum (Amsterdam), Robert Berman (Los Angeles), Art Cologne (Germany), YK3 (Melbourne). Honors de Mooij has been awarded: Scholarship Award Photo Global Program School of Visual Arts New York, shortlist Hyeres photography Competition (France), Kunsthuis SYB residency (The Netherlands), First Prize Selfware Competition (Austria). Her work has been published in the New York Times, Museum Paper, Purple Magazine, Dazed&Confused, GLU magazine, Dagens Nyheter, YKKY, Volkskrant. In 2009 she published the book Bush Compulsion in collaboration with artist Melanie Bonajo.


About Capricious Space
Capricious Space is located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Our mission is to be a sanctuary away from the city’s clamor and strife. Capricious Space invites emerging artists and curators to transform the space according to their own visions and dreams, thus bringing the Capricious generation together. Please visit our website for information on upcoming exhibitions.


Capricious Space